I am grateful to have so many collaborators and loved ones who support my work. Right now we are looking to hire someone specifically responsible for keeping all the moving parts organized and efficient while collaborating with us on making media.
Alexis Pauline Gumbs
We are growing our team. My elders are teaching me about traditions whose practices I have only had glimpses of so far. I am learning to activate the energy and awesomeness of those traditions through practice. The lifesaving jewels I am getting from my elders and peers while providing support to them in my particular areas of expertise is a key model of sustainable community. The support is mutual and reciprocal in ways that feel right and good to me. This practice and research teaches me about communities where everyone is a teacher and everyone is a student; where everyone has a role that is valued and evolving over time. Learning, teaching, honor, respect, empathy, sustainability and growth are the priorities and go in all directions.
Because I want to be, do and learn more, I have put a call out for a team member, apprentice, manager, producer... I don't have a name really. But this will create a container that allows me to share my skills, strengths and experience with someone, while I get much needed support in the areas I do not excel in and the areas that just require more hands, so to speak. Are you that somebody?
Current Team Member Search (BELOW)
The person that emerges will understand themselves to be:
- actively engaged in daily spiritual practice,
- naturally skilled but also trained at maintaining order, schedules and specificity (i.e. logistics, administration, organization and communication),
- passionate about media and art making (especially any or all the following: filmmaking, music, woodworking, foundry, poetry) and
- available to work at least 20hrs/week and travel up to 5 days a week for 2-3 weeks out of the month.
The responsibilities associated with this role will primarily be to:
1) support Priests and scholars of Ifa, Orisha and Black Feminist spiritual traditions which will include all facets of life (e.g. maintaining sacred, professional and personal space, processes, communications, etc.).
2) maintain logistic elements associated with the practices and work of Sangodare. To be clear this is a spiritual ROLE with PRACTICES (i.e. responsibilities) ranging from meditation, study and meal preparation to filming, singing and web design/maintenance and major RESPONSIBILITY around managing schedule, budget/receipts, and project management (i.e. related to ceremony, event planning/set-up, etc.).
3) acquire and practice new skills and knowledge. This role is for someone who feels comfortable with service and is in a teachable phase of life and learning.
We are looking for someone who can begin in or around January 2018. We think of this exploratory collaboration as a 3 month paid residency that could extend. Are you interested in exploring this with us?
If you are interested please fill out the form below and send your CV, resume or some representation of your skills, experience and education to the email listed. Please engage your sharing in an expansive way and honor the communal, familial, spiritual, academic, athletic, etc. elements that you feel might be relevant to this possible collaboration. Contact me if you have any questions.
Thank you for your interest.
Other ways to Collaborate (2018)
For those of you that are interested in collaborating but not in the role(s) outlined above we have created some examples of other needs we have currently. Broadly defined, the work of 2018 is about sharing more and sharing better via collaboration. We will be hiring on short term (2 days to 2 weeks) projects in relation to:
- Production (including pre and post),
- Events (including logistics, admin, etc.)
- Building and creating art (including visual, wearable and inhabitable).
The lists below gives a little more detail, web links and contact information.
*Please note the Mobile Homecoming site is under construction right now.
- Workshop Co-facilitators
- Research Assistants
- Event planners
- Apprentices & Assistants
- Librarians & Archivists
- Production Crew
- Lighting Designers
- Architects, Set & Space Designers
- Fashion Designers & Seamstresses
- Jazz/Blues/Gospel Musicians
- Production Day Crew
- Textile Artists
- Audio Engineers
- Light Designers
- Stage Managers
- Hospitality Team